Here is a list of all citations and references used in the Winter 2022 issue of Connections.
Arblaster, K., Mackenzie, L., Matthews, L., Willis, K., Gill, K., Hanlon, P., & Laidler, R. (2018). Learning from consumers: An eDelphi study of Australian mental health consumers’ priorities for recovery-oriented curricula. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 65, 586-597.
Arnstein, S. R. (2019). A ladder of citizen participation. Journal of the American Planning Association, 85, 24-34.
Australian Health Ministers Advisory Council (2013). A National Framework for Recovery-Oriented Mental Health Services: Guide for Practitioners and Providers. https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/2021/04/a-national-framework-for-recovery-oriented-mental-health-services-guide-for-practitioners-and-providers.pdf
Martin, R., & Mahboub, L. (nd). Participation and involvement spectrum: a participation and decision making continuum. Curtin University. Perth.
Roper, C., Grey, F., & Cadogan, E. (2018). Co-production: Putting principles into practice in mental health contexts. https://recoverylibrary.unimelb.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/2659969/Coproduction_putting-principles-into-practice.pdf
Slade, M. (2009). Personal Recovery and Mental Illness: A Guide for Mental Health Professionals (Values-Based Practice). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. doi:10.1017/CBO9780511581649
Tew, J., Gell, C. & Foster, S. (2004). Learning from experience: Involving service users and carers in mental health education and training. https://wels.open.ac.uk/research-project/caren/node/1960
Occupational therapy “do- it- yourself” breakfast program to increase participation in rehabilitation following acquired brain injury
Janssen, H., Ada, L., Bernhardt, J., McElduff, P., Pollack, M., Nilsson, M., & Spratt, N. (2014). Physical, cognitive and social activity levels of stroke patients undergoing rehabilitation within a mixed rehabilitation unit. Clin Rehabil, 28(1), 91-101. doi:10.1177/0269215512466252
Stroke Foundation. (2017). Clinical guidelines for stroke management 2017. Retrieved from https://informme.org.au/Guidelines/Clinical-Guidelines-for-Stroke-Management-2017
Scaffa, M. (2013). Group Process and group interventions. In M. Boyt-Schell, G. Gillen, M. Scaffa, & E. Cohn (Ed.). Willard and Spackman’s Occupational Therapy (12th edition) (pp. 437-451). USA, Wolters Kluwer, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
West, T., & Bernhardt, J. (2012). Physical Activity in Hospitalised Stroke Patients. Stroke Research and Treatment, 2012, Article ID 813765, 13 pages. doi:10.1155/2012/813765
AFOTN. (2022). Australasian Forensic Occupational Therapy Network purpose statement.
Cronin-Davis, J. (2017). Forensic mental health: creating occupational opportunities. In C. Long, J. Cronin-Davis, & D. Cotterill (Eds.), Occupational therapy evidence in practice for mental health (2nd ed., pp. 139-163). John Wiley & Sons
Harris, S., Farnworth, L., & Mynard, L. (2020). Experiences of disclosure for vocational occupations by forensic mental health consumers. Journal of Vocational Rehabilitation, 52(3), 291-301. https://doi.org/10.3233/JVR-201078
Muñoz, J. P. (2019). Mental health practice in criminal justice systems. In C. Brown, V. Stoffel, & J. P. Muñoz (Eds.), Occupational therapy in mental health: a vision for participation (2nd ed., pp. 615-641). Philadelphia, PA: F.A. Davis.
Perkes, D., Whiteford, G., Charlesworth, G., Weekes, G., Jones, K., Brindle, S., Hoare, L., Todd, E., & Ray, M. (2015). Occupation-focussed practice in justice health and forensic mental health: Using a practice-based enquiry approach. World Federation of Occupational Therapists Bulletin, 71(2), 101-107. https://doi.org/10.1080/14473828.2015.1103464
Taylor, J., Mynard, L., & Farnworth, L. (2021). Occupational therapists’ experiences using the Model of Human Occupation in forensic mental health. Occupational Therapy in Mental Health, 1-19. https://doi.org/10.1080/0164212X.2021.1974325
Whiteford, G., Jones, K., Weekes, G., Ndlovu, N., Long, C., Perkes, D., & Brindle, S. (2020). Combatting occupational deprivation and advancing occupational justice in institutional settings: Using a practice-based enquiry approach for service transformation. The British Journal of Occupational Therapy, 83(1), 52-61. https://doi.org/10.1177/0308022619865223
All photos are credited to Forensicare.
MacDonald, and Giazitzoglu, A. (2019). Youth, Enterprise and Precarity: Or, What Is, and What Is Wrong With, the “Gig Economy”? Journal of Sociology, 55(4), 724–740. doi.org/10.1177/1440783319837604
Waghorn, G., Saha, S., Harvey, C., Morgan, V. A., Waterreus, A., Bush, R., Castle, D., Galletly, C., Stain, H., Neil, A. L., McGorry, P. and McGrath, J. (2012). ‘Earning and Learning’ in Those With Psychotic Disorders: The Second Australian National Survey of Psychosis. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, 46(8), 774-785.
United Nations General Assembly. (2007). Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. Geneva, 2007. Retrieved 12 April 2022
1. NDIS Act (2013). National Disability Insurance Scheme Act 2013 (legislation.gov.au) 2. NDIS quarterly report mid-2021. Quarterly Reports | NDIS
3. National Disability Insurance Scheme Amendment (Participant Service Guarantee and Other Measures) Bill 2021. National Disability Insurance Scheme Amendment (Participant Service Guarantee and Other Measures) Bill 2022 – Parliament of Australia (aph.gov.au) 4. World Federation of Occupational Therapists. www.wfot.org.au 5. Parliamentary Inquiry. Independent Assessments – Parliament of Australia (aph.gov.au) 6. Parliamentary Inquiry Final Report. Independent Assessments – Parliament of Australia (aph.gov.au)
7. Occupational Therapy Australia Submission no. 159 Parliamentary Inquiry. Independent Assessments – Parliament of Australia (aph.gov.au)
8. Madden et. al. (2015) In Search of an Integrative Measure of Functioning. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26016438/. Retrieved 23 November 2020. 9. New NDIS Recovery Framework to Improve Experience for Participants with Psychosocial Disability | NDIS
10. Edgelow, M., Macpherson, M., Arnaly, F., Tam-Seto, L., Cramm, H. (2019) Occupational Therapy and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: A Scoping Review. Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy. Vol. 86(2), pp. 148-157.
Web sources retrieved 12 April 2022.
Clark, M., & Nayar, S. (2012). Recovery from Eating Disorders: A Role for Occupational Therapy. New Zealand Journal of Occupational Therapy, 59(1), 13-17.
Deloitte Access Economics. Paying the Price: The Economic and Social Impact of Eating Disorders in Australia. Australia: Deloitte Access Economics; 2012.
Hay, P., Girosi, F., Mond, J. Prevalence and Sociodemographic Correlates of DSM-5 Eating Disorders in the Australian Population. J Eat Disord. 2015;3(1):19.
Heruc, G., Hurst, K., Casey, A., Fleming, K., Freeman, J., Fursland, A., and Wade, T. (2020). ANZAED Eating Disorder Treatment Principles and General Clinical Practice and Training Standards. Journal of Eating Disorders, 8(1), 1-9.
Hurst, K., Heruc, G., Thornton, C., Freeman, J., Fursland, A., Knight, R., and Wade, T. (2020). ANZAED Practice and Training Standards for Mental Health Professionals Providing Eating Disorder Treatment. Journal of Eating Disorders, 8(1), 1-10.
National Eating Disorders Collaboration. 2018. Workforce Core Competencies for the Safe and Effective Identification of and Response to Eating Disorders (2018). Retrieved on 8 April 2022 from nedc.com.au/assets/Uploads/WORKFORCE-CORE-COMPETENCIES-for-the-safe-and-effective-identification-of-and-response-to-eating-disorders.pdf
National Eating Disorders Collaboration (NEDC) 2019. Deloitte Access Economics: Prevalence of Eating Disorders by Primary Health Network. May 2019 Retrieved on 8 April 2022 from nedc.com.au/assets/PHN/Deloitte-Access-Economics-2019-Eating-Disorders-and-PHNs.pdf?vid=10
Touyz, S. L. H., Hay, P.(2020). Eating Disorders in the Time of Covid-19. Journal of Eating Disorders, 8, 19.
Cusick, A. and Bye, R. (2021). History of Australian Occupational Therapy. In Brown, T., Bourke-Taylor, H. M., Isbel, S., Cordier, R. and Gustafsson, L. (Eds.), Occupational Therapy in Australia, (2nd ed., pp. 31-49). Oxon: Routledge.
Brooks, R., & Parkinson, S. (2018). Occupational formulation: A three-part structure. British Journal of Occupational Therapy, 81, p.177-179. https://doi.org/10.1177/0308022617745015
Krupa, T. (2007). My dinner with John. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 54(1), pp:2-3
Krupa,T., Edgelow, M., Chen, S., Mieras, C., Almas, A., Perry, A., & Radloff-Gab, D. (2010) Action Over Inertia: Addressing the activity-health needs of individuals with serious mental illness. CAOT Publications ACE
Mayers, S. & Agnew, E. (2019). Shifting paradigms ion psychology. InPsych, 41(1). https://psychology.org.au/for-members/publications/inpsych/2019/february-issue-1/moving-beyond-diagnosis
*This is from an online magazine without page numbers.
Parkinson, S. & Brooks, R. (2021). A guide to the formulation of plans and goals in occupational therapy. Routledge.
Parkinson, S, Shenfield, M. & Reece, K. (2011). Enhancing professional reasoning through the use of evidence-based assessments, robust case formulations and measureable goals. British Journal of Occupational Therapy, 74(3), p. 148–152.
Victorian Mental Illness Awareness Council (2019). The Declaration. https://www.vmiac.org.au/wp-content/uploads/The-VMIAC-Declaration_01-Nov-2019.pdf
Here is a list of all citations and references used in the Autumn 2022 issue of Connections.
- Occupational Therapy Board of Australia, Australian occupational therapy competency standards. 2018, Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency.
- Swan, J., S.E. Carr, and C. Fisher, What are the attributes of excellence in an acute practice occupational therapist? Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 2019. 66(1): p. 52-60.
- Granello, D. and T. Gibbs, The Power of Language and Labels: “The Mentally Ill” Versus “People With Mental Illnesses”. Journal of Counseling & Development, 2016. 94(1): p. 31-40.
- Dunn, D. and E. Andrews, Person-first and identity-first language: Developing psychologists’ cultural competence using disability language. American Psychologist, 2015. 70(3): p. 255-264.
- Gernsbacher, M., Editorial Perspective: The use of person-first language in scholarly writing may accentuate stigma. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 2017. 58(7): p. 859-861.
- Crocker, A.F. and S.N. Smith, Person-first language: are we practicing what we preach? Journal of multidisciplinary healthcare, 2019. 12: p. 125-129.
- Botha, M., J. Hanlon, and G. Williams, Does Language Matter? Identity-First Versus Person-First Language Use in Autism Research: A Response to Vivanti. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 2021: p. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-020-04858-w.
- Foley, K.-R. and J. den Houting, Occupational therapists use of autism terminology. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 2020. 67(1): p. 97-97.
- Aguilar, A., et al., Towards a definition of professionalism in Australian occupational therapy: using the Delphi technique to obtain consensus on essential values and behaviours. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 2013. 60(3): p. 206-16.
- Pereira, R.B., et al., Capabilities, Opportunities, Resources and Environments (CORE): Using the CORE approach for inclusive, occupation-centred practice. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 2020. 67(2): p. 162-171.
- Walder, K. and M. Molineux, Listening to the client voice - A constructivist grounded theory study of the experiences of client-centred practice after stroke. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 2020. 67(2): p. 100-109.
- Copley, J., et al., Reflecting on culturally responsive goal achievement with indigenous clients using the Australian Therapy Outcome Measure for Indigenous Clients (ATOMIC). Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 2021. 68(5): p. 384-394.
- Unsworth, C., Clinical reasoning in occupational therapy, in Cognitive and Perceptual Dysfunction: A clinical reasoning approach to evaluation and intervention, C. Unsworth, Editor. 1999, FA Davis Company: Philadelphia. p. 47-63.
- Robertson, D., F. Warrender, and S. Barnard, The critical occupational therapy practitioner: how to define expertise? Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 2015. 62(1): p. 68-71.
- Laver, K.E., Occupational therapy and the language of healthy ageing. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 2021. 68(4): p. 285-286.
- Hines, M., Bulkeley, K., Dudley, S., Cameron, S., and Lincoln, M. (2019). Delivering Quality Allied Health Services to Children with Complex Disability via Telepractice: Lessons Learned from Four Case Studies. Journal of Developmental and Physical Disabilities, 31(5), 593-609. doi:10.1007/s10882-019-09662-8
Assistive technology in the time of COVID-19 - Global study calls for disability-inclusive communication and stakeholder collaboration
Dr Natasha Layton1 and Professor Libby Callaway1,2
1 Rehabilitation, Ageing and Independent Living (RAIL) Research Centre, School of Primary and Allied Health Care, Monash University, Australia
2 Occupational Therapy Department, School of Primary and Allied Health Care, Monash University, Australia
 World Health Organization (2020). Policy brief: Access to assistive technology. Geneva: World Health Organization. Retrieved from https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/332222/9789240005044-eng.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y
2 Smith, E., Rizzo Battistela , L., Contepomi, S., Gowran, R., Kankipati, P., Layton, N., . . . Toro Hernandez , M. (2019). Measuring met and unmet assistive technology needs at the national level: Comparing national database collection tools across eight case countries. In N. Layton & J. Borg (Eds.), Global perspectives on assistive technology: proceedings of the GReAT Consultation 2019 (Licence: CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 IGO ed., Vol. A, pp. 24-35). Geneva: World Health Organization.
3 Boisselle, A., & Grajo, L. (2018). They Said: A Global Perspective on Access to Assistive Technology. The Open Journal of Occupational Therapy, 6(3), 2. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.15453/2168-6408.1541
4 World Health Organization (2021). World Health Organization Regional Offices. Geneva: World Health
Organization. Retrieved from https://www.who.int/about/who-we-are/regional-offices
- Layton, N.; Mont, D.; Puli, L.; Calvo, I.; Shae, K.; Tebbutt, E.; Hill, K.D.; Callaway, L.; Hiscock, D.; Manlapaz, A.; Groenewegen, I.;Siidiqi, M. Access to assistive technology during the COVID-19 global pandemic: Voices of users and families. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health doi.org/10.3390/ ijerph182111273
- Puli, L. Layton, N.; Mont, D.; Layton, N;, Puli, L.; Gupta, S.; Manlapaz, A.; Shae, K.; Tebbutt, E.; Calvo, I.; Sidiqyi, M.; Dube, K .; Kacilala, U Assistive Technology Provider Experiences during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health doi.org/10.3390/ijerph181910477
- Mont, D.; Layton, N.; Puli, S.; Gupta, S.; Manlapaz, A.;Shae, K.; Hill,K; Callaway, L.; Manlapaz, A.; Groenewegen, I.; Tebbutt, E (2021). Assistive Technology and Support Services During the COVID-19 global pandemic: The Roles of Government and Civil Society in Fulfilling the Social Contract. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 18(22), 12031. doi:https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph182212031
- A podcast featuring two of the Chief Investigators is available at [https://youtu.be/EMdgUFClzzI]
- Reed, K. L. (2018). Creating Occupational Therapy: The challenges to defining a profession. Occupational Therapy in Health Care, 32(2), 172–193. https://doi.org/10.1080/07380577.2018.1464238
- World Federation of Occupational Therapists [WFOT]. (2012). Defining Occupational Therapy. World Federation of Occupational Therapists Bulletin, 71(1), 18.
- Keynote presentations available at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZXRp24ckN4TlicMCNpaWLg
- Children's Ground. (2020). Annual Report 2019. Retrieved from https://childrensground.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/CG-2019-Annual-Report-WEB-low-res.pdf
- Gorey, L., Turner, M. K., & Vadiveloo, J. (2020). First Nations pedagogy is the solution to the education of First Nations children. ABC: Education, https://education.abc.net.au/newsandarticles/blog/-/b/3611823.
- Beeden, K., and Rowe, N. (2017). A biopsychosocial approach for addressing chronic pain in everyday occupational therapy practice. OT Practice, July 2017 Supplement, CE-1-CE-8. http://ezproxy.ecu.edu.au/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=rzh&AN=124384942&site=ehost-live&scope=site
- Breivik, H., Collett, B., Ventafridda, V., Cohen, R., and Gallacher, D. (2006). Survey of chronic pain in Europe: Prevalence, impact on daily life, and treatment. European Journal of Pain, 10(4), 287-287. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejpain.2005.06.009
- Carr, D. B., and Bradshaw, Y. S. (2014). Time to flip the pain curriculum? Anaesthesiology, 120(1), 12-14. https://doi.org/10.1097/ALN.0000000000000054
- Clauw, D. J., Häuser, W., Cohen, S. P., and Fitzcharles, M. A. (2020). Considering the potential for an increase in chronic pain after the Covid-19 pandemic. Pain, 161(8), 1694-1697. https://doi.org/10.1097/j.pain.0000000000001950
- Dueñas, M., Ojeda, B., Salazar, A., Mico, J. A., and Failde, I. (2016). A review of chronic pain impact on patients, their social environment and the health care system. Journal of Pain Research, 9, 457-467. https://doi.org/10.2147/JPR.S105892
- Economics, D. A. (2019). The cost of pain in Australia. https://www.painaustralia.org.au/static/uploads/files/the-cost-of-pain-in-australia-launch-20190404-wfrsaslpzsnh.pdf
- Jordan, K. (2019). Occupational therapy in primary care: Positioned and prepared to be a vital part of the team. The American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 73(5), 1-7305170010. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.2019.735002
- Lagueux, E., Dépelteau, A., and Masse, J. (2018). Occupational therapy's unique contribution to chronic pain management: A scoping review. Pain Research and Management, 2018, 5378451. https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/5378451
- Lambert, R., Harrison, D., and Watson, M. (2007). Complexity, occupational therapy, unpredictability and the scientific method: A response to Creek et al (2005) and Duncan et al (2007). British Journal of Occupational Therapy, 70(12), 534-536. https://doi.org/10.1177/030802260707001206
- Vartiainen, P., Heiskanen, T., Sintonen, H., Roine, R. P., and Kalso, E. (2019). Health-related quality of life change in patients treated at a multidisciplinary pain clinic. European Journal of Pain, 23(7), 1318-1328. https://doi.org/10.1002/ejp.1398
Here is a list of all citations and references used in the Summer 2021 issue of Connections.
- Australian Healthcare and Hospitals Association (AHHA) (n.d.). Experience-based co-design – A toolkit for Australia. Retrieved on 1 October 2021 from https://ahha.asn.au/EBCDtoolkit/files/downloads/EBCD%20toolkit%20Final.pdf
- Hammell, K. R. W. (2013). Client-centred occupational therapy in Canada: Refocusing on core values/Recentrer l’ergothérapie au Canada sur les valeurs fondamentales de la pratique centrée sur le client. Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 80(3), 141-149.
- NHMRC (n.d.). Consumer Involvement: Guidelines for Guidelines. Retrieved on 9 October 21 from https://www.nhmrc.gov.au/guidelinesforguidelines/plan/consumer-involvement
- NHS Institute for Innovation and Improvement,*NHS I.I.I. (n.d.) Experience-based design – Using patient and staff experience to design better healthcare services. Retrieved on 10 October 21 from https://www.england.nhs.uk/improvement-hub/wp-content/uploads/sites/44/2017/11/Experience-Based-Design-Guide-and-Toolkit.pdf
- University of Queensland, Australia (UoQ) (n.d.). Consumer Engagement Framework. Recover Injury Research Centre. Retrieved on 1 October 2021 from https://recover.centre.uq.edu.au/consumer-engagement-framework
- WFOT (n.d.). WFOT Position Statement: Client-Centredness in Occupational Therapy. Retrieved on 8 October 2021 from https://wfot.org/assets/resources/Client-centredness-in-Occupational-Therapy.pdf
- Whalley Hammell, K. R. (2015). Client-centred occupational therapy: The importance of critical perspectives. Scandinavian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 22(4), 237-243.
- Whiteford, G. E. (2019). Sylvia Docker memorial lecture: Together we go further — Service co‐design, knowledge co‐production and radical solidarity. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 66(6), 682-689.
- Barclay, L., Callaway, L., & Pope, K. (2020). Perspectives of individuals receiving occupational therapy services through the National Disability Insurance Scheme: Implications for occupational therapy educators. Australia Occupational Therapy Journal, 67(1),39–48. https://doi.org/10.1111/1440-1630.12620
- Smethurst, G., Bourke-Taylor, H. M., Cotter, C., & Beauchamp, F. (2021). Controlled choice, not choice and control: Families' reflections after one year using the National Disability Insurance Scheme. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 68(3), 205– 216. https://doi.org/10.1111/1440-1630.12715
- Iong, K. K., Bould, E., Lalor, A., & Callaway, L. (2021). Australian occupational therapists' knowledge of the purpose, scope, and funding of assistance dogs. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, https://doi.org/10.1111/1440-1630.12770
- Waldman-Levi, A., Golisz, K., Swierat, R.P., & Toglia, J. (2019). Scoping review: Interventions that promote functional performance for adolescents and adults with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 66(4), 458-468. https://doi.org/10.1111/1440-1630.12577
- Commonwealth of Australia, Social Services (2021). NDIS National Workforce Plan: 2021–2025. Retrieved from dss.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/06_2021/ndis-national-workforce-plan-2021-2025.pdf
- King, E., Parliament of Australia (2021). National Disability Insurance Scheme Funding. Retrieved from aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/rp/BudgetReview202122/NationalDisabilityInsuranceSchemeFunding.
- National Disability Insurance Agency (2020). NDIS Quarterly Report to Disability Ministers. Retrieved from ndis.gov.au/media/2939/download
- Australian Rehabilitation Providers Association (2021). The importance of early intervention and referral to workplace rehabilitation. Ebook available at arpa.org.au/documents/item/527 (accessed 14 October, 2021)
- Choi, B. C. K., and Pak, A. W. P. (2006). Multidisciplinarity, interdisciplinarity and transdisciplinarity in health research, services, education and policy: Definitions, objectives, and evidence of effectiveness. Clinical and Investigative Medicine, 29(6), 351–364. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17330451/
- Kondo, T. (2004). Cultural tensions in occupational therapy practice: Considerations from a Japanese vantage point. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 58, 174-184.
- Reed, K. L., (2019). Beliefs of Eleanor Clarke Slagle: Are They Current or History? Occupational Therapy In Health Care, pp. 33:3, 265-285, DOI: 10.1080/07380577.2019.1619215
- Cook, A. M., Polgar, J. M., and Hussey, S. M. (2008). Cook and Hussey's assistive technologies: Principles and practice (3rd ed.). Mosby/Elsevier.
- Cruz, D. M., Emmel, M. L. G., Manzini, M. G., and Mendes, P. V. B. (2016). Assistive technology accessibility and abandonment: Challenges for occupational therapists. The Open Journal of Occupational Therapy, 4(1), Article 10. https://doi.org/10.15453/2168-6408.1166
- de la Guía, E., López, V., Olivares, T., Orozco, L., Lozano, M. D., and Penichet, V. (2019). Wearable interaction and home automation to improve the patient wellness: Study of perceived benefits. Association for Computing Machinery, 179-182. https://doi.org/10.1145/3364138.3364162
- Desmond, D., Layton, N., Bentley, J., Boot, F. H., Borg, J., Dhungana, B. M., Gallagher, P., Gitlow, L., Gowran, R. J., Groce, N., Mavrou, K., Mackeogh, T., McDonald, R., Pettersson, C., and Scherer, M. J. (2018). Assistive technology and people: A position paper from the first global research, innovation and education on assistive technology (GREAT) summit. Disability and Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology, 13(5), 437–444. https://doi.org/10.1080/17483107.2018.1471169
- Deverell, L., Bhowmik, J., Lau, B. T., Al Mahmud, A., Sukunesan, S., Islam, F., McCarthy, C., and Meyer, D. (2020). Use of technology by orientation and mobility professionals in Australia and Malaysia before Covid-19. Disability and Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology, 1–8. https://doi.org/10.1080/17483107.2020.1785565
- Erickson, K. (2015). Evidence considerations for mobile devices in the occupational therapy process. The Open Journal of Occupational Therapy, 3(2), Article 7. https://doi.org/10.15453/2168-6408.1132
- Giesbrecht E. (2013). Application of the human activity assistive technology model for occupational therapy research. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 60(4), 230–240. https://doi.org/10.1111/1440-1630.12054
- Jamwal, R., Jarman, H. K., Roseingrave, E., Douglas, J., and Winkler, D. (2020). Smart home and communication technology for people with disability: A scoping review. Disability and Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology, 1–21. https://doi.org/10.1080/17483107.2020.1818138
- MacLachlan, M., and Scherer, M. J. (2018). Systems thinking for assistive technology: A commentary on the GREAT summit. Disability and Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology, 13(5), 492–496. https://doi.org/10.1080/17483107.2018.1472306
Here is a list of all citations and references used in the Spring 2021 issue of Connections.
- Knightbridge, L. (2019). Reflection-in-practice: A survey of Australian occupational therapists. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 66(3), 337–346. https://doi.org/10.1111/1440-1630.12559
- D’Arrigo, R. G., Copley, J. A., Poulsen, A. A., & Ziviani, J. (2020). Strategies occupational therapists use to engage children and parents in therapy sessions. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 67(6), 537–549. https://doi.org/10.1111/1440-1630.12670
- Crawford, E., Aplin, T., & Rodger, S. (2017). Human rights in occupational therapy education: A step towards a more occupationally just global society. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 64(2), 129–136. https://doi.org/10.1111/1440-1630.12321
- Rudman, M. T., Flavell, H., Harris, C., & Wright, M. (2021.). How prepared is Australian occupational therapy to decolonise its practice? Australian Occupational Therapy Journal,. https://doi.org/10.1111/1440-1630.12725
- Scanlan, J. N., Logan, A., Arblaster, K., Haracz, K., Fossey, E., Milbourn, B. T., Pépin, G., Machingura, T., & Webster, J. S. (2020). Mental health consumer involvement in occupational therapy education in Australia and Aotearoa New Zealand. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 67(1), 83–93. https://doi.org/10.1111/1440-1630.12634
- Cox, R., Kendall, M., Molineux, M., Miller, E., & Tanner, B. (2021). Consumer engagement in occupational therapy health-related research: A scoping review of the Australian Occupational Therapy Journal and a call to action. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 68(2), 180–192. https://doi.org/10.1111/1440-1630.12704
- Duncan, M., Sinclair, K., & Creek, J. (2021). Upstreaming occupational therapy: reflections on sustaining contextual relevance in a globalising world, World Federation of Occupational Therapists Bulletin, DOI: 10.1080/14473828.2021.1932043
- Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees 1951 (UNHCR) https://www.unhcr.org/en-au/3b66c2aa10
- NSW Service for the Treatment and Rehabilitation of Torture and Trauma Survivors. “Refugees, Asylum Seekers and Trauma,” Accessed 7th July, 2021. https://www.startts.org.au/resources/refugees-asylum-seekers-and-trauma/
- Access details of all awards on the Fair Work website
- Check your workers’ circumstances against the ATO’s online decision tool
- View/download the Casual Employment Information Statement
- View/download the Fair Work Information Statement
- To learn more about Key super rates and thresholds, visit the ATO website
- Read more about these new unpaid leave entitlements on the Fair Work website
- Read more about the crime of wage theft on the Victorian Government website
- Hyett, N., McKinstry, C. E., Kenny, A., and Dickson-Swift, V. (2016). Community-centred practice: Occupational therapists improving the health and well-being of populations. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 63(1), 5-8.
- Liu, L. (2018). Occupational therapy in the fourth industrial revolution. Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 85(4), 272-283.
- Liu, L., and Mihailidis, A. (2019). The changing landscape of occupational therapy intervention and research in an age of ubiquitous technologies.
- Poulden, D., and Oke, L. E. (1990). Occupational therapy in Australia—where are we going and how do we get there. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 37(3), 147-149.
- American Occupational Therapy Association (2015). Occupational Therapy’s Role with Health Promotion: Fact Sheet. Retrieved from https://www.aota.org/~/media/Corporate/Files/AboutOT/Professionals/WhatIsOT/HW/Facts/FactSheet_HealthPromotion.pdf
- American Occupational Therapy Association (2014). Occupations. The American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 68. S19-S21.
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (2020). People with disability in Australia. https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/disability/people-with-disability-in-australia/contents/income-and-finance/income-support#Changes%20over%20time%20in%20the%20DSP
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (2020). Physical Activity. Retrieved from https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports-data/behaviours-risk-factors/physical-activity/overview
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (2020). Mental Health. https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/australias-health/mental-health
- Biddle, S., Murtrie, N., Gorely, T. (2015). Psychology of Physical Activity: Determinants, Well-Being and Interventions (3rd ed.). Abingdon: Routledge.
- Bragg, E. and Pritchard-Wiart, L. (2019). Wheelchair physical activities and sports for children and adolescents: A scoping review. Physical and occupational therapy in pediatrics, 39(6), 567-579. https://doi.org/10.1080/01942638.2019.1609151
- Cole, F. (2010). Physical activity for its mental health benefits: Conceptualising participation within the Model of Human Occupation. British Journal of Occupational Therapy, 73(12), 607-615. https://doi.org/10/4276/030802210X12918167234280
- Fruhauf, A., Niedermeier, M., Sevecke, K., Haid-Stecher, N., Albertini, C., Richter, K., Schipflinger, S. and Kopp, M. (2020). Affective responses to climbing exercise in children and adolescents during in-patient treatment for mental health disorders a pilot study on acute effects of different exercise interventions. Psychiatric Research, 291, 113245-113245, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychres.2020.113245.
- National Disability Insurance Agency (2019). People with a psychosocial disability in the NDIS, 30 June 2019. Retrieved from https://data.ndis.gov.au/reports-and-analyses/participant-groups/people-psychosocial-disability
- Worboys, T., et al. Delivering occupational therapy hand assessment and treatment sessions via telehealth. J Telemed Telecare, 2018. 24(3): p. 185-192.
- Szekeres, M. and Valdes, K. Virtual health care and telehealth: Current therapy practice patterns. J Hand Therapy, 2020. 33 (2): p 188-197.
- Wallace, D., Reliability of digital images when used to assess burn wounds. J Telemed Telecare, 2004. 10(3): p. 185; author reply 185-6.
- Grandizio, L. C., Foster, B. K. and Klena, J. C. Telemedicine in Hand and Upper-Extremity Surgery. J Hand Surg Am, 2020. 45(3): p. 239-242.
- Ekstam, L., Uppgard, B., Kottorp, A. and Tham, K. Relationship between awareness of disability and occupational performance during the first year after a stroke. Am J Occup Ther. 2007;61(5):503-11.
- Hartman-Maeir, A., Soroker, N., Ring, H. and Katz, N. Awareness of deficits in stroke rehabilitation. J Rehabil Med. 2002;34(4):158-64.
- Ownsworth, T. and Clare, L. The association between awareness deficits and rehabilitation outcome following acquired brain injury. Clin Psychol Rev. 2006;26(6):783-95.
- Prigatano, G.P. and Schacter, D.L. Awareness of deficit after brain injury: Theoretical and clinical aspects. New York (NY): Oxford University Press; 1991.
- Boosman, H., van Heugten, C.M., Winkens, I., Heijnen, V.A. and Visser-Meily, J.M. Awareness of memory functioning in patients with stroke who have a good functional outcome. Brain Inj. 2014;28(7):959-64.
- Hartman-Maeir, A., Soroker, N., Oman, S.D. and Katz, N. Awareness of disabilities in stroke rehabilitation-a clinical trial. Disabil Rehabil. 2003;25(1):35-44.
- Hartman, C.A., Manos, T.M., Winter, C., Hartman, D.M., Li, B. and Smith, J.C. Effects of T'ai Chi training on function and quality of life indicators in older adults with osteoarthritis. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2000;48(12):1553‐9.
- Starkstein, S.E., Jorge, R.E. and Robinson, R.G. The frequency, clinical correlates, and mechanism of anosognosia after stroke. Can J Psychiatry. 2010;55(6):355-61.
Here is a list of all citations and references used in the Winter 2021 issue of Connections.
- Murray A, Di Tommaso A, Molineux M, Young A, Power, P. Contemporary occupational therapy philosophy and practice in hospital settings. Scand J Occup Ther. 2021;28(3):213-224. doi:10.1080/11038128.2020.1750691
- Spalding K, Gustafsson L, Di Tommaso A. Occupation-based group programs in the inpatient hospital rehabilitation setting: a scoping review. Disabil Rehabil. 2020. doi:10.1080/09638288.2020.1813818
- Murray A, Di Tommaso A, Molineux M, Young A, Power P. Occupational therapists’ perceptions of service transformation towards contemporary philosophy and practice in an acute specialist paediatric hospital. Br J Occup Ther. 2019;82(12):759-769. doi:10.1177/0308022619876836
- Dancewicz EA, Bissett M. (2020). Occupational Therapy Interventions and Outcomes Measured in Residential Care: A Scoping Review. Phys Occup Ther Geriatr. 2020;38(3):230-249. doi:10.1080/02703181.2020.1719272
- Burley S, Cox R, Di Tommaso A, Molineux M. (2018). Primary Contact Occupational Therapy Hand Clinics: The pull of an occupational perspective. Aust Occup Ther J. 2018;65(6):533-543. doi:10.1111/1440-1630.12507
- Burley S, Di Tommaso A, Cox R, Molineux M. An occupational perspective in hand therapy: A scoping review. Br J Occup Ther. 2018;81(6):299–318. doi:10.1177/0308022617752110
- Walder K, Molineux M, Bissett M, Whiteford G. Occupational adaptation – analyzing the maturity and understanding of the concept through concept analysis. Scand J Occup Ther. 2021;28(1):26-40. doi:10.1080/11038128.2019.1695931
- Walder K, Molineux M. Re-establishing an occupational identity after stroke – a theoretical model based on survivor experience. Br J Occup Ther. 2017; 80(10):620-630. doi:10.1177/0308022617722711
- Purcell S, Scott P, Gustafsson L, Molineux M. Stroke survivors’ experiences of occupation in hospital-based stroke rehabilitation: A qualitative exploration. Disabil Rehabil. 2020;42(13):1880-1885. doi:10.1080/09638288.2018.1542460
- Hoffmann M, Gustafsson L, Di Tommaso A. Exploring stroke survivors’ experiences and understandings of occupational therapy. Scand J Occup Ther. 2020; doi:10.1080/11038128.2020.1831060
- Hodson T, Wall B, Gustafsson L, Eriksson G, Cornwell, P. (in press) Occupational engagement following mild stroke in the Australian context using the occupational gaps questionnaire. Scand J Occup Ther. 2020; doi:10.1080/11038128.2019.1709541
- Di Tommaso A, Wicks A, Scarvell J, Isbel S. Experiences of occupation-based practice: An Australian phenomenological study of recently graduated occupational therapists. Br J Occup Ther. 2019;82(7):412-421. doi: 10.1177/0308022618823656
- Roberts MJ, Fitzgerald D, Molineux M. (2017). Educating occupational therapists in the use of theory and evidence to enhance supervision practice. Open J Occup Ther. 2017;5(4): Article 10. doi:10.15453/2168-6408.1356
- Canty G, Roberts MJ, Molineux M. (2020). Characteristics of Occupation-based Education within Entry-level Occupational Therapy Programs: Professional Leaders' Perspectives. J Occup Ther Educ. 2020;4(2). doi:10.26681/jote.2020.040202
- Miller M, Roberts MJ (2020). Teaching and Learning Occupation in Occupational Therapy Education: A Qualitative Evidence Synthesis. J Occup Ther Educ. 2020;4(3). doi:10.26681/jote.2020.040313
- Bissett M, Roberts M. Affirm–Apply–Advance: Transitioning undergraduate students through their theory-into-practice journey. In K. Enomoto, R. Warner, & C. Nygaard (Eds.), Teaching and learning innovations in higher education. 2020. Libri Publishing.
- Sanders, D. (2016), The Future of the Professions: A regulators’ perspective, CPA&NZ / RMIT
- Dawson, R. (2016), ‘The future of associations’, Academic Leadership Series, Vol. 7, pp. 25–31.
- McKinley Advisors (2016), 2016 Economic Impact on Associations Report. Reflecting on the Past, Preparing for the Future, McKinley Advisors, Washington DC.
- Freidson, E. and Lorber, J. (1972), Medical Men and their Work: A Sociological Reader, Aldine Publishing Company, Chicago.
- Larson, M. S. (1977), The Rise of Professionalism: A Sociological Analysis, University of California Press, Berkeley.
- Abbott, A. (2014), The System of Professions: An Essay on the Division of Expert Labor, University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
Influences that shape new graduates’ experiences of learning to make intervention decisions when working with children and families
- Hazelwood, T., Baker, A., Murray, C., & Stanley, M. (2018). New graduate occupational therapists’ narratives of ethical tensions encountered in practice. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 66(3), 283-291. doi:10.1111/1440-1630.12549
- Leonard, C., & Corr, S. (1998). Sources of stress and coping strategies in basic grade occupational therapists. British Journal of Occupational Therapy, 61(6), 257-262. doi:10.1177/030802269806100605
- Tryssenaar, J., & Perkins, J. (2001). From student to therapist: Exploring the first year of practice. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 55(1), 19-27. doi:10.5014/AJOT.55.1.19
- Hodgetts, S., Hollis, V., Triska, O., Dennis, S., Madill, H., & Taylor, E. (2007). Occupational therapy students' and graduates' satisfaction with professional education and preparedness for practice. Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 74(3), 148-160. doi:10.1177/000841740707400303
- Moir, E., Turpin, M., & Copley, J. (in press). The clinical challenges experienced by new graduate occupational therapists: A Matrix Review. Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy.
- Toal-Sullivan, D. (2006). New graduates' experiences of learning to practise occupational therapy. British Journal of Occupational Therapy, 69(11), 513-524. doi:10.1177/030802260606901105
- Yin, R. (2018). Case study research and applications: Design and methods (6th ed.). Los Angeles: SAGE Publications.
- Andreasen, G., Stella, T., Wilkison, M., Szczech, C., Hoelz., A., & Herdricks, L. (2017). Animal-assisted therapy and occupational theray. Journal of Occupational Therapy, Schools & Early Intervention, 10, 1-17.
- Animal Therapies Ltd (2020). Australian Code of Conduct for the Animal-Assisted Services Sector. Retrieved from https://animaltherapies.org.au/download-document/
- Coghlan, S. (2020). Ethical dimensions of animal-assisted interventions. In: C. J. Driscoll (Ed.), Animal-Assisted Interventions for Health and Human Service Professionals (pp. 69-96). NY: Nova Science.
- Driscoll, C., Coghlan, S., Cawdell-Smith, J., Diamantakos, E., Hill, J. & Irwin, T. (2020). Minimum standards for the conduct of animal-assisted interventions. In C. J. Driscoll (Ed.), Animal-Assisted Interventions for Health & Human Service Professionals (pp. 467-475). New York: Nova Science.
- Gillon, R. (1994). Medical ethics: Four principles plus attention to scope. BMJ, 309(6948), 184-188. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.309.6948.184
- Hill, J., Ziviani, J., Driscoll, C. & Cawdell-Smith, J. (2019) Canine assisted occupational therapy for children on the autism spectrum: Challenges in practice. British Journal of Occupational Therapy. 83(4). 215-219. https://doi.org/10.1177/0308022619858851
- Hill, 2020
- Hill, J., Driscoll, C., Cawdell-Smith, J., Anderson, S. & Ziviani, J. (2020d). Therapy dog welfare in canine-assisted occupational therapy with children on the autism spectrum: A pilot case study. Unpublished manuscript.
- International Association of Human Animal Interaction Organizations. (2015). The IAHAIO definitions for animal-assisted interventions and guidelines for wellness of animals involved. In A. Fine (Ed.), Handbook on animal-assisted therapy: Foundations and guidelines for animal-assisted interventions 4th ed. (pp. 445-447). San Diego, CA: Elsevier Academic Press.
- Occupational Therapy Board. (2014) Australian occupational therapy competency standards. Retrieved from https://www.occupationaltherapyboard.gov.au/codes-guidelines/competencies.aspx
- Winkle, M. & Ni, K. (2019) Animal-assisted occupational therapy: Guidelines for standards, theory, and practice. In A. Fine (Ed.), Handbook on animal-assisted therapy: Foundations and guidelines for animal-assisted interventions 5th ed. (pp. 381-384). San Diego, CA: Elsevier Academic Press.