Call for EOI - Conference Convenor #OTAUS2021
Call for Expressions of Interest - Conference Convenor
29th National Conference and Exhibition, 23-25 June 2021
Closing date: MONDAY 30 SEPTEMBER 2019
The Board of Occupational Therapy Australia is now seeking a call for Nominations/Applications for Conference Convenor of the Occupational Therapy Australia 29th National Conference and Exhibition (2021).
The OTA national conference and exhibition provides unique opportunities for our diverse community of occupational therapy researchers, developers, creators, educators, and practitioners. Our continuing mission is to be the leading/premier occupational therapy conference in the Asia Pacific region. The OTA Conference Convenor and Scientific Program Chair have a rare opportunity to inspire and lead a talented and deeply committed team of committee volunteers to deliver the Occupational Therapy Australia 29th National Conference and Exhibition 2021.
The Conference Convenor and Scientific Program Chair work in close conjunction with the OTA Conference Events Team, the Conference Organising Committee and the appointed Conference Scientific Program Committee (CSPC).
Time Commitment: The role of Convenor commences 18 months before their conference and continues for two months after conference completion. The Conference Convenor should have capacity to provide approximately 2 hours / week for first 6 months (December 2019 to June 2020) and 4 hours / week in remaining months (July 2020 to August 2021).
The following list is a "high-level" view of the specific responsibilities associated with serving as the Conference Convenor.
- To ensure the delivery of a high-quality conference, leading to becoming the preferred conference for occupational therapists within the Asia-Pacific region.
- To oversee the design and implementation requirements of the Conference which meets Board financial targets.
- Work with the Scientific Program Chair and the OTA Board to determine the vision/theme of the conference
- Review the CSPC keynote speakers’ suggestions and discuss with the Conference Organising Committee for Board approval
- Attend and chair all scheduled Organising Committee teleconference meetings
- Ensure the critical path / milestones for the National Conference are being met
- Contribute to the evaluation of the Occupational Therapy Australia Conference as a member of the Organising Committee
- Conduct a briefing time with the Scientific Program Chair and non-OT keynote and invited speakers to discuss objectives for their presentation and ways to tie this in with the Conference theme
- Oversee Conference Ambassador program, along with other committee members
- Oversee the call for meeting requests and invitational group sessions (e.g. Journal, WFOT, OTSeeker, Board) within the main program
- Approve sponsor presentations within the program
- Conduct post conference debrief and provide recommendations to the OTA Board as part of the final report.
- Monitor Committee members performance in relation to meeting negotiated KPI’s
- Work with the Scientific Chair to ensure invitations to speak fit in with the budgeted travel and operating expenses.
- Contribute to the development of OTA conference policies and procedures as requested.
- Facilitate and participate in timely communication with the committee to provide direction and solve problems.
- Represent the OTA conference to other organisations, the media, and the public-at-large.
- The Convenor will chair all conference Organising Committee meetings.
- The Convenor will form part of an executive committee which at times may be required to meet in addition to the committee meetings.
- Conference Convenor must hold current membership with Occupational Therapy Australia throughout the duration of their conference planning cycle.
- Experience in and current knowledge of convening a conference or other large professional development event.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and perform effectively as part of a team.
- Demonstrated high standard of oral and written communication skills, time management, and organisational skills to ensure effective teamwork.
- Conference Convenor must have access to email and phone services during and after business hours to facilitate timely responses to enquiries and to ensure attendance at teleconferences.
- Ability to attend monthly teleconference and a maximum of two face-to-face meetings with the Board / Organising Committee
- Able and willing to devote the necessary amount of time to the role; have solid support from both their employer and family.
- Conversant with the issues facing occupational therapists and the profession in Australia
- Previous involvement in OTA Conference planning
- Attended national and international conferences
- Connected to an established network of individuals within the occupational therapy profession in Australia
All nominations are considered by the CEO and Board. To be nominated, the candidate should send the following items (as Word files) by email to Samantha Hunter (email@example.com) with reference: EOI 2021 Conference Convenor nomination:
- A cover letter addressed to the Occupational Therapy Australia CEO, Samantha Hunter
- The selection criteria
- The nominee’s summary CV (max. 2 x A4 pages) including contact details for two referees
Closing Date: MONDAY 30 SEPTEMBER 2019.
It is not mandatory that individuals meet every desirable qualification to be eligible for the position of Chair and interested persons who do not meet all qualifications are encouraged to discuss their interest with OTA.