Call for feedback: Royal Commission into Victoria’s Mental Health System
The Royal Commission into Victoria’s Mental Health System is now accepting submissions.
The Terms of Reference for the Royal Commission can be viewed here.
OTA will be preparing a formal submission to the Royal Commission on behalf of members. The Commission has outlined 11 key questions to support the preparation of submissions, which are listed below.
- What are your suggestions to improve the Victorian community’s understanding of mental illness and reduce stigma and discrimination?
- What is already working well and what can be done better to prevent mental illness and to support people to get early treatment and support?
- What is already working well and what can be done better to prevent suicide?
- What makes it hard for people to experience good mental health and what can be done to improve this? This may include how people find, access and experience mental health treatment and support and how services link with each other.
- What are the drivers behind some communities in Victoria experiencing poorer mental health outcomes and what needs to be done to address this?
- What are the needs of family members and carers and what can be done better to support them?
- What can be done to attract, retain and better support the mental health workforce, including peer support workers?
- What are the opportunities in the Victorian community for people living with mental illness to improve their social and economic participation, and what needs to be done to realise these opportunities?
- Thinking about what Victoria’s mental health system should ideally look like, tell us what areas and reform ideas you would like the Royal Commission to prioritise for change?
- What can be done now to prepare for changes to Victoria’s mental health system and support improvements to last?
- Is there anything else you would like to share with the Royal Commission?
If you wish to provide feedback in response to one or more of these questions, please email Michael Barrett via firstname.lastname@example.org by COB Friday 14 June 2019.